Training and Technical Assistance (TTA) Resource Materials
Feel free to use these resources for implementing and expanding SBIRT in your hospital, now and in the future.
Implementing Screening and Brief Intervention in Emergency Departments
- ENA SBIRT Toolkit for Emergency Nursing
- Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention (ASBI): Program Implementation and Operations Manual
- Yale School of Medicine Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment
- Evaluation of the Washington State Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment Project Cost Outcomes for Medicaid Patients Screened in Hospital Emergency Departments? by Estee, et. al. Medical Care, Volume 48, Number 1, January 2010
Planning & Implementing Screening & Brief Intervention for Risky Alcohol Use: A Step-by-Step Guide for Primary Care Practices
- This guide provides detailed steps and resources to help staff in any primary care practice implement alcohol SBI. It includes information on risky alcohol use, its effects on health, and how it can be addressed through alcohol SBI.
Implementing Screening and Brief Intervention in Trauma and Other Inpatient Departments
Targeting Screening and Treatment to High Risk, High Cost Inpatients
- Project Engage:
- "Early data from project engage: a program to identify and transition medically hospitalized patients into addictions treatment" by Pecoraro Anna, Horton Terry, Ewen Edward, Becher Julie, Wright A. Patricia, Silverman Basha, McGraw Patty, Woody E. George, Addiction Science & Clinical Practice.2012, 7:20.
- PowerPoint Presentation April 3, 2012 by Basha Silverman and Terry Horton
- Hospital Readmissions among Medicaid Beneficiaries with Disabilities: Identifying Targets of Opportunity? by Todd Gilmer, PhD, University of California San Diego, and Allison Hamblin, Center for Health Care Strategies, Inc.; December 2010 (p. 6)
- Acute Care Hospital Utilization Among Medical Inpatients Discharged with a Substance Use Disorder Diagnosis by Walley et. al; J Addict Med, Volume 6: No. 1, March 2012
Implementing the Joint Commission's Inpatient SBIRT Measures (SUB 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Joint Commission Substance Use (SUB) Measure Set
- Set Measure ID#: SUB-1 (Alcohol Use Screening)
- Set Measure ID#: SUB-2 (Alcohol Use Brief Intervention Provided or Offered) and SUB-2a (Alcohol Use Brief Intervention)
- Set Measure ID#: SUB-3 (Alcohol and Other Drug Use Disorder Treatment Provided or Offered at Discharge) and SUB-3a (Alcohol and Other Drug Use Disorder Treatment at Discharge)
- Set Measure ID#: SUB-4 (Alcohol and Drug Use: Assessing Status After Discharge)
- SBIRT Coming to Hospitals Via Joint Commission article by Eric Goplerud - May 28, 2012
- The Joint Commission?s New Tobacco-Cessation Measures - Will Hospitals Do the Right Thing? by Michael C. Fiore, Eric Goplerud, and Steven A. Schroeder in The New England Journal of Medicine
Reimbursement and Coding for Screening and Brief Interventions
The Business and Clinical Case for SBIRT
- SBIRT: The Right Thing for Everyone PowerPoint Presentation
- Evidence for Funding screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) within Pennsylvania Emergency Department by University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy
- PRISM Systematic Reviews by the Treatment Research Institute regarding alcohol use on some common medical conditions (e.g., diabetes, heart disease, hypertension)
- AUDIT-C Alcohol Screening Results and Postoperative Inpatient Health Care Use (Rubinsky et al., 2012)
- Screening, brief interventions, referral to treatment (SBIRT) for illicit drug and alcohol use at multiple healthcare sites: Comparison at intake and six months (Madras et al. 2009)
SBIRT Training for Medical and Health Professionals in Hospitals
- Babor, T, and Higgins-Biddle, J. (2001). AUDIT - Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test: Guidelines for Use in Primary Care. WHO/MSD/MSB01.6a, World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Babor, T, and Higgins-Biddle, J. (2001). Brief Intervention for Hazardous and Harmful Drinking: A Manual for Use in Primary Care. WHO/MSD/MSB01.6b, World Health Organization, Geneva.
- NIAAA. Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician?s Guide
- NIAAA. Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention for Youth: A Practitioner's Guide
- SAMHSA. TIP 35: Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment
- BNI-ART SBIRT Training Videos
- Health Professionals Learner's Guide available from BIG Hospital SBIRT Initiative at NORC at the University of Chicago. Order a copy by email.
- The Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test, Adapted for Use in the United States: A Guide for Primary Care Practitioners