- Field CA, Baird J, Saitz R, Caetano R, Monti PM, 2010, The missed evidence for brief intervention in emergency departments, trauma care centers and inpatient hospital settings; What should we do? Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 34: 004-2010.
- Proudfoot, H. and Teesson, M. (2009). The association of alcohol dependence with general practice attendance. Drug and Alcohol Review, 28: 154?159.
- Saitz, R., Freedner, N., Palfai, T. P., Horton, N. J. and Samet, J. H. (2006), The Severity of Unhealthy Alcohol Use in Hospitalized Medical Patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: 381?385.
- Williams, E. C., Palfai, T., Cheng, D. M., Samet, J. H., Bradley, K. A., Koepsell, T. D., Wickizer, T. M., Heagerty, P. J. and Saitz, R. (2010), Physical Health and Drinking Among Medical Inpatients With Unhealthy Alcohol Use: A Prospective Study. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 34: 1257?1265.
- Chen CH, Chen WJ, Cheng A, Prevalence and identification of alcohol use disorders among nonpsychiatric inpatients in one general hospital, General Hospital Psychiatry, Volume 26, Issue 3, May-June 2004, Pages 219-225.
- Gossop, M., Neto, D., Radovanovic, M., Batra, A., Toteva, S., Musalek, M., Skutle, A. and Goos, C. (2007), CLINICAL STUDY: Physical health problems among patients seeking treatment for alcohol use disorders: a study in six European cities. Addiction Biology, 12: 190?196. doi: 10.1111/j.1369-1600.2007.00066.x
Ulrich, Rumpf,Bischof, Hapke, Hanke, and Meyer (2012). Excess Mortality of Alcohol-Dependent Individuals After 14 Years and Mortality Predictors Based on Treatment Participation and Severity of Alcohol Dependence. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.
- Cobain K, Owens L. L, Kolamunnage-Dona R, Fitzgerald R, Gilmore I, Pirmohamed M: Brief Interventions in dependent drinkers: A comparative prospective analysis in two hospitals. Alcohol Alcohol 2011.
- Conigrave KM, Saunders JB, Reznik RB (1995), Predictive capacity of the AUDIT questionnaire for alcohol-related harm. Addiction, 90: 1479?1485.
- Lau K, Freyer-Adam J, Gaertner B, Rumpfr HF et al. 2010. Motivation to change risky drinking and motivation to seek help for alcohol risk drinking among general horsetail inpatients with problem drinking and alcohol-related diseases. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 32, 86-93
- McQueen J, Howe TE, Allan L, Mains D, Hardy V. Brief interventions for heavy alcohol users admitted to general hospital wards. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 Aug 10;(8):CD005191.
- Vyssoki B, Steindl-Munda P, Ferenci P et al. Comparison of Alcohol-dependent Patients at a Gastroenterological and a Psychiatric Ward According to the Lesch Alcoholism Typology: Implications for treatment. Alcohol and Alcoholism (2010) 45(6): 534-540
- Chick J, Lloyd G, Crombie E: Counseling problem drinkers in medical wards: a controlled study. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985, 290(6473):965-967.
- Clark, S. , B. J., Smart, A., House, R., Douglas, I., Burnham, E. L. and Moss, M. (2011), Severity of Acute Illness is Associated with Baseline Readiness to Change in Medical Intensive Care Unit Patients with Unhealthy Alcohol Use. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.
- Freyer-Adam J, Coder B, Baumeister S et al. Brief alcohol intervention for general hospital inpatients: A randomized controlled trial, Drug and Alcohol Dependence, Volume 93, Issue 3, 1 March 2008, Pages 233-243
- McManus S, Hipkins J, Haddad P, Guthrie E, Creed F: Implementing an effective intervention for problem drinkers on medical wards. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2003, 25(5):332-337.
- Burns, H.K., Puskar, K., Flaherty, M.T., Mitchell, A.M., Hagle, H., Braxter, B., Fioravanti, M., Gotham, H.J., Kane, I., Talcott, K.S., Terhorst, L., Woomer, G.R. (2012). Addiction training for undergraduate nurses using screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 2(4), 167-177, doi: 10.5430/jnep.v2n4p167.
- Mitchell, A.M., Puskar, K., Hagle, H., Gotham, H.J., Talcott, K.S., Fioravanti, M., Kane, I., Hulsey, E., Terhorst, L., Luongo, P., Burns, H.K. (2013). Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment: Overview of and student satisfaction with an undergraduate addiction training program for nurses. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 51(10), 29-37.
- Puskar, K., Gotham, H., Terhorst, L., Hagle, H., Mitchell, A.M., Braxter, B., Fioravanti, M, Kane, I., Talcott, K.S., Woomer, G.R., Burns, H.K. (2012). Effects of SBIRT Education and Training on Nursing Students? Attitudes Toward Working with Patients Who Use Alcohol and Drugs. Substance Abuse. doi: 10.1080/08897077.2012.15621
- Terhorst, L., Gotham, H.,J., Puskar, K.R., Mitchell, A.M., Talcott, K., Braxter, B., Hagle, H., Fioravanti, M., Woomer, G.R. (2013). Confirming the factor structure of the alcohol and alcohol problems questionnaire (AAPPQ) in a sample of baccalaureate nursing students. Research in Nursing and Health, 36(4), 412-22, doi: 10.1002/nur.21537
- Emmen MJ, Schippers GM, Blejenberg G, Wollensheim H (2004), Effectiveness of opportunistic brief interventions for problem drinking in a general hospital setting: systematic review. BMJ, 328. 318
- Roche AM. Freeman T. Skinner N. From data to evidence, to action: findings from a systematic review of hospital screening studies for high risk alcohol consumption. Drug & Alcohol Dependence. 83(1):1-14, 2006 Jun 9.
- Sullivan LE, Tetrault JM, Braithwaite RS, et al. A meta-analysis of the efficacy of nonphysician brief interventions for unhealthy alcohol use: implications for the patient-centered medical home. Am J Addict. 2011;20(4):343?356.
- Field, CA, and Caetano, R. The effectiveness of brief intervention among injured patients with alcohol dependence: Who benefits from brief interventions?. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 111: 13-20.
- Guth S, Lindberg SA, Badger G et al. Brief Intervention in Alcohol-Dependent Versus Nondependent Individuals J. Stud. Alcohol Drugs 69: 243-250, 2008
- Touquet, Robin Brown, Adrian Alcohol misuse: Positive response. Alcohol Health Work for every acute hospital saves money and reduces repeat attendances - Emergency Medicine AustralasiaVL18 IS - 2 - 1742-6723
- Gentilello LM, Ebel BE, Wickizer TM et al (2005) Alcohol Interventions for Trauma Patients Treated in Emergency Departments and Hospitals: A Cost Benefit Analysis. Annals of Surgery. 241(4):541-550.
- Storer RM (2003) A simple cost-benefit analysis of brief interventions on substance buse at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. Military Medicine, 168(9), 765-71.
High Risk Patients
- Rubinsky AD, Sumn H et al, AUDIT-C alcohol screening results and postoperative inpatient heatlh care use. J Am College Surg. 214(3), March 2012.
- Spies C, Nordmann A, Brummer G, et al. Intensive care unit stay is prolonged in chronic alcoholic men following tumor resection of the upper digestive tract. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1996;40: 649?56.
- Spies CD, Rommelspacher H. Alcohol withdrawal in the surgical patient: prevention and treatment. Anesth Analg 1999; 88(4): 946-954.
- Alexander Y. Walley, MD, MSc, Michael Paasche-Orlow, MD, MA, MPH, Eugene C. Lee, BA,Shaula Forsythe, AM, MPH, Veerappa K. Chetty, PhD, Suzanne Mitchell, MD, and Brian W. Jack, MD. Acute Care Hospital Utilization Among Medical Inpatients Discharged with a Substance Use Disorder Diagnosis. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 2012; 6: 50-56.
- Douglas Zatzick, MD, Gregory Jurkovich, MD, Joan Russo, PhD, Peter Roy-Byrne, MD, Wayne Katon, MD,
Amy Wagner, PhD, Chris Dunn, PhD, Edwina Uehara, PhD, David Wisner, MD, and
Frederick Rivara, MD, MPH (2004). Posttraumatic Distress, Alcohol Disorders, and Recurrent
Trauma Across Level 1 Trauma Centers. The Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection, and Critical Care, 57(2), 360-366.
- Craig A. Field, Raul Caetano, T. R. Harris, Ralph Frankowski3 & Bahman Roudsari (2009). Ethnic differences in drinking outcomes following a brief alcohol intervention in the trauma care setting. Addiction, 105, 62?73.
- Craig A. Field and Raul Caetanoc. (2010). The effectiveness of brief intervention among injured patients with alcohol
dependence: Who benefits from brief interventions? Drug and Alcohol Dependence 111 (2010) 13?20.
- Jason A. London, MD, MPH, Christopher W. Dunn, PhD, and Garth H. Utter, MD, MSc. (2011). Alcohol-Related Brief Interventions as a Criterion for American College of Surgeons Level I Trauma Center Verification: How Best to Train the Interventionists? The Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection, and Critical Care, 70(4), 931-938.
- Per Nilsen, (M.D.), Janette Baird, (Ph.D.), Michael J. Mello, (M.D., M.P.H.), Ted Nirenberg, (Ph.D.), Robert Woolard, (M.D.),
Preben Bendtsen, (M.D.), Richard Longabaugh, (Ed.D.). (2007). A systematic review of emergency care brief alcohol interventions
for injury patients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 35, 184?201
- Carl A. Soderstrom, MD, Carlo C. DiClemente, PhD, Patricia C. Dischinger, PhD, J. Richard Hebel, PhD,
David R. McDuff, MD, Kimberly Mitchell Auman, MS, and Joseph A. Kufera, MA. (2007). A Controlled Trial of Brief Intervention Versus Brief Advice for At-Risk Drinking Trauma Center Patients. The Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection, and Critical Care, 62:1102?1112.
- Lynn Soine and Mary Ann Burg (1995). Combining Class Action Litigation and Social Science Research: A Case Study in Helping Homeless Women with Children. Journal of Gender and the Law, 3:159, 159-182.
- Barbara Turner, M.D. and A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D. (2012). Substance Use Disorders and Primary Health Care: Addressing the Gap
- Regina Makdissi and Scott H Stewart (2013). Care for hospitalized patients with unhealthy alcohol use: a narrative review. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, 8:11.