Under the Influence and on the Clock: Opioid
Misuse and the Impact on the Workplace
Description: This free webinar will explore the impact of opioid use on the workplace. It might be the 19-year-old grocery clerk, the mom who works part-time as a substitute teacher, or the physician’s assistant at the local urgent care clinic; opioid abuse reaches beyond stereotypes of “addicts and drug seekers.” The United States is confronting the deadliest drug crisis on record (CDC, 2016). Opioid prescription medications are both a health and safety issue in the workplace. Opioid medications are potent, highly addictive drugs that have the potential to cause impairment, increase the risk of workplace incidents, injuries and death, even when taken as prescribed.
Learning Objectives: As a result of participating in this webinar, you will be able to:
- Outline the challenges prescription drug abuse poses in the workplace;
- Identify industries at higher risk of prescription drug misuse;
- Examine the scope, variation, and consequences of prescription drug misuse in the workplace;
- Describe effective and research-based strategies to prevent and reduce prescription drug misuse in the workplace; &
- Acknowledge current and future critical issues for workplace prevention programs.
Misty Aaberg is the Program Manager for the Substance Use, Misuse, and Abuse Prevention Program for Working Adults. Misty has a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice and a Master of Science Degree in Organizational Leadership. Misty is trained in Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment and is a Substance Abuse Prevention Skills Trainer. Misty has worked in the prevention field for nearly two decades and is committed to enhancing substance abuse policies and implement evidence-based practices in the workplace to reduce substance abuse.